Friday, December 12, 2008

Endeavor Rides Back to FL!

I'm going to go a little out of order because my plan was for my next post to be about my Mom & Dad's visit this past week, but since that's going to take more time than I have right now, I'm going to just go ahead and post these now.

For those of you who live outside Florida and don't get the minute by minute updates on all things NASA like we do here and/or live under a rock, the space shuttle Endeavor landed in California on December 1st.  The first choice is always to land the shuttle back here in Florida, but like this time, that can't always happen.  Amazingly the same shuttle 
which takes our astronauts to space is not capable of flying back to Florida on it's own, so instead NASA has to pay $1.8 million dollars to strap it on the back of a 747 and fly it back here.  

These are the pictures I took about an hour ago from the beach in front of my house watching the Endeavor "ride" back home.


















It really is amazing what a huge deal the space program is, especially to the people down here.  I was very surprised how many people, of all ages, were down on the beach in the middle of a work day to watch it come back.  And I am also amazed by how cool it really is to live here.


No comments: