Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How Quickly Life Changes

Hello from sunny Florida!  The weather is amazing here and despite missing my friends and family very much, I am amazed how quickly I am becoming comfortable in this new life.  Jimmy and I have been working hard getting things unpacked and have made amazing progress.   Some of us work harder than others.



Just kidding.  I just wanted an excuse to sneak this picture in because I love it so much.  

One of the most shocking changes to this new life is that I have somehow become a morning person.  I haven't been asleep past 7:30 am in over a week and I'm not even setting an alarm.  The verdict is still out on how I actually feel about this.  On one hand it's nice to have accomplished so much by 9 am, and it's nice this time of year to have more hours of sunshine.  But on the other hand, it's me, and I'm not a morning person.

The best change is how relaxed I feel and how active we've already become.  Sunday we took a long walk on the beach and this evening we went for a bike ride around the neighborhood next to us.  We also went to the American Police Hall of Fame & Museum this afternoon which was pretty cool.  We were bummed to find out they are no longer offering helicopter rides, and we were even more disappointed when we found out they'd only been charging $35 a person for the helicopter rides when they were still doing them.  But we had the place to ourselves and got to 
see some cool stuff.  




The first thing when you walk in is a car of an officer who died in the line of duty.  While is car was on display after the tragedy people from his  community signed his car.   The car is literally 
signed from bumper to bumper.  It was very moving to see.



The Fallen Officers Memorial



Not moving, but very funny was when I walked around a corner to find Jimmy having a puppet show with the McGruff's dogs.



Jimmy and I trying out the electric chair.





Jimmy checking out the forensic evidence display.  I was thinking about my friend Detective Jordan while we were looking at this.  Jordan, if you're reading this, I hope your first homicide investigation is going well!



Jimmy and I playing dress up with some of the uniforms they had.







I thought this was pretty cool.  Before towns had jails built they used to keep people overnight in "Tramp Chairs".  Prisoners were normally undressed and left out in the elements while neighborhood children would poke them with sticks.





And a really cool old police car.



So that's what we've been up to so far.  I'll be spending the next two days continuing to get our place organized before our first guests arrive and will be job hunting in full force come Monday.



"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."  ~A. Sachs

1 comment:

Christy said...

That museum looks like so much fun!
Glad you two are settling in and will soon have some guests! :)